Learn this simple technique to make a circle skirt using a round vintage crochet tablecloth. This pattern is so easy that my 9 year old daughter helped me to make it.
(Is it nepotism if I only hire my own children to work in my sweatshop?)
This skirt takes only minutes to make, so you will have time for more important things like twirling. You can even wear this skirt as a dress!
You will need:
- a round vintage crochet tablecloth, diameter between 130cm (51″) and 230cm (90″)
- sewing machine
- flexible tape measure
- 25mm (1″) wide bias binding
- 20mm (3/4″) wide elastic
- matching cotton cord for drawstring
130cm diameter = mini skirt
150cm diameter = knee-length skirt
230cm diameter = maxi skirt
Lighter weight crochet tablecloths work best for this skirt.
1. Choose your hip size:
size small = radius 15cm (6″)
size medium = radius 16cm (6.25″)
size large = radius 17cm (6.5″)
size xlarge = radius 18cm (7″)
2. Fold your tablecloth into quarters. Measure your radius from the centre.
3. Cut the radius circle from the centre of the tablecloth. Follow carefully the lace pattern.
4. Measure your hips with a flexible tape measure. Cut a piece of bias binding as long as your hip measurement.
5. Open out the binding and pin around the cut edge of the tablecloth. Fold over one end of the binding as shown. The tablecloth will stretch so take care to distribute the binding evenly around the cut edge.
6. Overlap the ends of the binding.
7. Stitch along the binding fold line.
8. Fold the binding over along the stitched line, to encase the raw edges. Stitch in place, leaving a gap to insert the elastic.
9. Iron flat. Use a safety pin to thread the elastic through the casing.
10. Join the elastic together with a few stitches. Stitch closed hole in the binding.
11. Using a safety pin, thread the cord through the casing to make a drawstring. Tie a knot in each end of the drawstring.
You may need to wear a half slip underneath your sheer crochet skirt. Half slips can be found for a few dollars at any charity store.
Dye your tablecloth a different colour before you start.
A square tablecloth will make a skirt with an interesting hemline.
Look for different kinds of lace tablecloths.
For more free tutorials visit our library.